You’ve decided to install a heat pump! Good for you! Heat pumps are an excellent choice for Arizona residents because our winters are relatively mild. This means that you don’t need the power of a furnace unless you prefer a warmer home in the winter rather than the more mild temperatures that a heat pump creates. Aside from your personal preferences, a heat pump is a suitable heating system for homes and businesses in the Greater Phoenix area.
Even though heat pumps are great heating systems, not all are created equal. To get the most from this investment, you need to buy smart and use smart.
Choose the Right Heat Pump
When buying a heat pump, do your research and get a recommendation from your local HVAC service in Gilbert. HVAC techs see all types of issues with heating systems and are familiar with the best manufacturers and models.
For instance, at Simply The Best AC, we recommend Daikin heat pumps to our customers. We feel that they offer exceptional heating and cooling efficiency throughout the year, plus have lower operating costs compared to other models.
If you don’t want to purchase an Daikin model, at least look for an Energy Star qualified heat pump. These models are energy efficient and will save money on operating costs. To qualify as an Energy Star model, the unit must have a baseline rating of 8.2 HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor).
Additionally, an Energy Star qualified model is tested to work well in cold environments, providing that it’s the right size. This might not make a huge difference living here in Phoenix, but it’s something to think about. You are buying a heat pump to keep warm, after all.
Install the Heat Pump Correctly
When it comes time for installation, be aware of what’s going on. Hiring a trusted HVAC repair company in Gilbert is important because the tech will make sure that the heat pump is the right size and properly installed. Here are some things to look for.
- Insulation. If you insulate your home prior to installing a heat pump, your home will be cheaper to heat, and you can buy a smaller system.
- Brand Name. Always choose a quality brand that you can count on. The product should also come with a warranty.
- Correct Size. The heat pump should be the right size – not too big, not too small. A system that’s overly large will generate more heat than needed, and a system that’s too small will have to work overtime.
- Proper Installation. Correct location and installation is key to optimal performance. Again, hiring a trusted professional will ensure proper installation.
- Climate Considerations. When The temperatures drop, the performance of your heat pump will, too. Temps don’t dip too low in AZ, but you still want to know that your heat pump is right for our desert climate.
Smart Use of Your Heat Pump
Let’s talk about how you can see the most from your heat pump. First thing’s first: Only use heat when you need it. There is no reason to keep your heat pump on when you’re at work all day. Second, only heat the rooms that you’re in. You can keep the rest of the rooms warm by closing windows and shutting curtains.
Also make sure that you keep on top of the thermostat. If you buy a programmable thermostat, you can set the temperatures for when you leave, return home and go to sleep. Lastly, take care of your heat pump just as you do your AC unit (providing that you do a good job!). Change the air filter regularly and schedule maintenance checks with an HVAC service in Gilbert.
Whether you’re in the market for a new heat pump or you’re still unsure of whether a furnace or heat pump is right for you, give Simply The Best AC a call. We’ll be happy to come out for a consultation and determine what is best for your needs.
Photo Credit: Ed Gregory